Monday, 2 January 2012

Adieu 2011

So another year goes by - a year that was made special by a number of events. Getting into IIMC and India winning the world cup are in the top drawer among those events. Some things are not so obvious though, they come to foreground only after some thought. This year I got to spend about 6 months in Kolkata, 1 month in Delhi, 2 months at home in Hardwar and 3 months in Surat; what more can a person who is struck by wanderlust ask for. Never before had I been to the east of Allahabad. Got to visit two metros for the first time this year, Kolkata and Mumbai. Although it was just a 5-day stay in Mumbai, hoping for a fun-filled stay in Mumbai during internship. Kota was also a city I visited for the first time this year. Revisiting the Alma mater IITD and recollecting the memories of past years was bittersweet.

I still can't get over India winning the world cup. Maybe it was the effect of Surat - a city I loved. The happy-go-lucky folk of the city really transformed my viewpoint of society (given the typical western UP society that I've grown up in). People dancing in the streets after winning the semi-final against Pakistan was awesome. And after the final, roaming the streets with the tricolour held high all night long, people cheering on seeing each others' tricolour, random people distributing sweets in streets - one of the high points of my stay in Surat. Watching the India vs Australia Q/F match in Ahmedabad is a memory that will stay for life (Thanks to Ishan for booking the ticket at the last moment).

Getting into IIMC was a surprise, even for myself! After a not-so-good CAT, I didn't expect my score to bulge to this extent. (Maybe something's wrong with my perception of acceptable performances, I didn't expect to clear JEE too.). Gave four interviews and finally got selected into IIMC. And even though it may sound weird, the stay here thus far hasn't really been memorable, except for a couple of things that cannot be spoken about (the IIMC insider cult!) - one that struck us as soon as we entered and another that left our throats sore. The best thing about coming to IIMC has been the good friends that I made here.

2011 also made me see some stuff that wasn't really what I was looking for. Growing distance from friends and family wasn't what I wanted to see. Last six months were a disappointment in that sense. Hoping to correct this in 2012. Another disappointment of the year was leaving some of the very goods friends in Surat.

Overall, it was a good time to be alive. Cheers.

- Ashish

No comments:

Post a Comment